Magnesium, the fourth most abundant mineral in the human body, plays a role in over 300 metabolic processes. It participates in the development and maintenance of bones and teeth; the metabolism of carbohydrates, blood glucose, fats, and proteins; the formation of cells and tissues; and the maintenance of muscle function, including cardiac muscle.This product contains Albion®’s TRAACS® magnesium lysinate glycinate (mineral amino acid chelate) and Albion’s chelated dimagnesium malate—both formulated for enhanced absorption. Malic acid (from di-magnesium malate) supports energy production and lactic acid clearance via the Krebs cycle. Malic acid may also support antioxidant systems by enhancing glutathione and antioxidant enzymes.
1. Albion Minerals. http://www.albionminerals.com/human-nutrition/. Accessed May 23, 2012.
2. Schell J. Interdependence of pH, malate concentration, and calcium and magnesium concentrations in the xylem sap of beech roots. Tree Physiol. 1997 Jul;17(7):479-83. [PMID: 14759841]
3. Krinsky DL, LaValle JB, Hawkins EB, et al. Natural Therapeutics Pocket Guide. 2nd ed. Hudson, OH: Lexi-Comp; 2003.
4. Suzuki T, Tamura S, Nakanishi H, et al. Reduction of aluminum toxicity by 2-isopropylmalic acid in the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2007 Winter;120(1-3):257-63. [PMID: 17916978]
5. Magnesium Balance: Can You Juggle? Albion Human Nutrition Research Notes. 2006 Dec;15(4). http://www.albionhumannutrition.com/research-notes/ download/doc_details/328-magnesium-balance-can-you-juggle. Accessed May 29, 2012.
6. Scanlan BJ, Tuft B, Elfrey JE, et al. Intestinal inflammation caused by magnesium deficiency alters basal and oxidative stress-induced intestinal function. Mol Cell Biochem. 2007 Dec; 306(1-2):59-69. [PMID: 17657590]
7. King DE, Mainous AG 3rd, Geesey ME, et al. Magnesium intake and serum C-reactive protein levels in children. Magnes Res. 2007 Mar;20(1):32-6. [PMID: 17536486]
8. Tsai CJ, Leitzmann MF, Willett WC, et al. Long-term effect of magnesium consumption on the risk of symptomatic gallstone disease among men. Am J Gastroenterol. 2008 Feb;103(2):375-82. [PMID: 18076730]
9. Laires MJ, Monteiro CP, Bicho M. Role of cellular magnesium in health and